Red Grouper Fishing
- Atlantic federal waters: open May 1-December 31.
- Atlantic state waters: open May 1-December 31.
- Gulf federal waters: open January 1-January 31 and April 1-December 31.
- Gulf state waters: open all year.
- Atlantic federal waters: 20 inches total length.
- Atlantic state waters: 20 inches total length.
- Gulf federal waters: 20 inches total length.
- Gulf state waters: 20 inches total length.
- Atlantic federal waters: aggregate grouper bag limit of 3 per day.
- Atlantic state waters: No more than 3 grouper per day in the Atlantic Ocean and all waters of Monroe County in any combination of grouper species including golden tilefish.
- Gulf federal waters: 2 per person within 4 grouper aggregate bag limit including black grouper, scamp, gag, red grouper, yellowmouth grouper, snowy grouper, yellowfin grouper, yellowedge grouper, warsaw grouper, and speckled hind.
- Gulf state waters: 2 per person in a 4 grouper aggregate. Zero bag limit for charter captain and crew.
- Red grouper must be landed in a whole condition.
- Red grouper cannot be deheaded, skinned, scaled, ground, sliced, deboned, divided, or filleted while in or on the water.
- Removal of gills and guts permitted.
- Hook and line gear is permitted in all federal and state waters
- For all Gulf state and federal waters plus Atlantic federal waters north of 28 degrees latitude: non stainless steel circle hooks are required when fishing with hook and line using natural bait.
- Only a dehooking device is required for all Atlantic state waters and Atlantic federal waters south of 28 degrees latitude.
- At least one dehooking device is required to remove hooks in all federal and state waters.
- No bang stick, powerhead, or a handheld device using an explosive charge is permitted to harvest snapper.
State rules governing Red Grouper can be found at: https://www.flrules.org/gateway/ChapterHome.asp?Chapter=68B-14
Federal rules governing Red Grouper in the Atlantic can be found at: https://safmc.net/regulations/regulations-by-species/red-grouper/
Federal rules governing Red Grouper in the Gulf of Mexico can be found at: https://gulfcouncil.org/fishing-regulations/red-grouper-epinephelus-morio/
Contact a knowledgeable and aggressive criminal defense attorney in Key West, Florida
The State of Florida treats fishing violations extremely seriously and seeks jail time for many fishing violations. The Jamindar Law Firm is focused on aggressively defending locals and tourists against fishing violations in Monroe County, Florida. To schedule a free initial consultation, call me at 305-204-6869 or contact me online. My office is conveniently located at 422 Fleming Street on the edge of the Key West Historical District.