- Gulf Region: all Florida waters lying north of the Monroe County/Collier County line.
- Atlantic Region: all Florida waters lying outside of the Gulf Region.
- Open all year in the Atlantic and Gulf federal and state waters.
Minimum Size Requirements
- Atlantic state waters: 33 inches fork length.
- Atlantic federal waters: 33 inches fork length.
- Gulf state waters: 33 inches fork length.
- Gulf federal waters: 36 inches fork length.
- Atlantic state waters: 1 per recreational harvester or 6 per vessel regardless of the number of people on board.
- Atlantic federal waters: 2 per person per day.
- Gulf state waters:1 per recreational harvester or 2 per vessel regardless of the number of people on board.
- Gulf federal waters: 2 per person per day regardless of the duration or number of trips.
- Cobia must be landed in whole condition.
- Cobia cannot be divided, filleted, sliced, deheaded, scaled, skinned, ground, or deboned while or in the water.
- Removal of gills and gutting is permitted.
- Atlantic and Gulf State waters: Spears, gigs, hook and line, seine, and cast net are permitted.
- Atlantic federal waters: all gear is allowed except long gillnets and drift gillnets.
- Gulf federal waters: all gear is allowed.
State rules governing Cobia can be found at: https://www.flrules.org/gateway/ChapterHome.asp?Chapter=68B-19
Federal rules governing Cobia in the Atlantic can be found at: https://safmc.net/regulations/regulations-by-species/cobia-2/
Federal rules governing Cobia in the Gulf of Mexico can be found at: https://gulfcouncil.org/fishing-regulations/gulf-cobia-rachycentron-canadum/
Contact a knowledgeable criminal defense attorney in Key West, Florida
The State of Florida treats fishing violations extremely seriously and seeks jail time for many fishing violations. The Jamindar Law Firm is focused on aggressively defending locals and tourists against fishing violations in Monroe County, Florida. To schedule a free initial consultation, call me at 305-204-6869 or contact me online. My office is conveniently located at 422 Fleming Street on the edge of the Key West Historical District.